Have you been dying to try a DIY Semi Naked Cake too? I am not a cake decorator at all! Cupcakes are more my thing and even then they are never pretty or professional looking. I’m a box mix kinda baker and I’m totally okay with that. That being said I never imagined making a 3 layer Semi Naked Cake would be so easy. I opted for a mini version because I thought it was the perfect size! I found these perfectly sized Wilton mini cake pans at Joann’s Fabric. They come in a set of 3 and they are the 4 inch size. The big size pans would work great too.
- 3 Cake Pans
- Toppings for cake (Flowers, Fruity Pebbles, Sprinkles Fruit etc…)
- Bake your cakes like normal and according to recipe or box. I used a spice cake because I thought it would make a pretty colored crust.
- Let cakes cool and remove from pan.
- Cut top off so the cake lays flat.
- Squeeze frosting in between each layer. I wanted my frosting nice and thick like the cake layers. so I really loaded it on there.
- Frost the sides and fill any divets and holes
- Spread cake frosting all around the cake leaving as much frosting as you want until you reach that desired look.
- Wipe off excess frosting by scraping it with your knife on the sides. TIP: Dip knife into water to smooth frosting even more.
- Once your cake looks how you want it you can start the fun part of decorating it! Have fun and just play around.
To make a sprinkles letter make your own letter template and cut it out with scissors or an exacto knife. I just free handed this but you could print one off the computer. It’s always fun to try some interesting toppings! We love fruity pebbles around here!
I had so much fun making this and my kids were so impressed! They asked every 5 minutes if we could cut into the cake haha! We finally did and we all felt so fancy eating a three layer cake : ) I hope you have fun making a DIY Semi Naked Cake too! I can’t wait to see all the pretty and fun combinations you come up with.